Mom Gets Up When She Hears Baby Crying in Middle of the Night Again. That’s When She Feels It…

A mother is grateful that her baby woke her up in the middle of the night recently, and the reason why might be a wake up call to many other families.

Image Credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

Image Credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

ScaryMommy blog shared Monique Ruppel’s Facebook status about her baby daughter Celia saving her life, which has now gone viral. Here’s what Monique said happened:

She wrote:

This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives.

Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo. Kyle immediately woke and we quickly realized something was wrong.

Image credit: Facebook/Screenshot

Image credit: Facebook/Screenshot

We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea, and burning eyes. We packed a bag and woke Celia. She began vomiting and as I held her my cat collapsed at my feet. Luckily Kyle’s parents arrived to help right before he collapsed. He came to right away and 911 was called. We were all taken to the hospital.

Image credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

Image credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

We were promptly treated for Carbon monoxide poisoning by wonderful doctors and nurses. They took every precaution and air lifted us to Vancouver for treatment. We underwent 3, 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber. We are all feeling very well and expected to make a full recovery.

Image credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

Image credit: Facebook/Monique Ruppel

The support we have received this weekend has been incredible. We thank all our friends and family for helping us through.

The National Fire Protection Association suggests a few tips to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in your home, including:

  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes, or standards.

CBS News also had these pointers specifically about times when there’s serious winter weather.

Credits: Liftbump

The end of Monique’s post echoes these warnings: “Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way any more. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all.”


Sponsored