It was a Saturday in December 2012, when Emma Whittington noticed her seven-month-old’s neck was starting to swell. According to ABC News, Emma phoned her husband at work and ask if she should take Mya to the emergency room.
Together, they agreed to wait, assuming that their child had a swollen gland that would go away on its own. However, when the couple checked on Mya the following morning, her neck had swollen to twice the size, with what looked like a pimple forming at the end.
With Mya in so much pain, Aaron and Emma admitted her to the hospital where doctors quickly became stumped.
They initially diagnosed the redness and swelling as an infection, but when they tried to drain the lump in her neck nothing came out.
Doctors were left shocked when Mya’s parents saw “a string” protruding from the “pimple” on her neck. As Mya barely shed a tear, her pediatrician put on a pair of gloves and started to pull.
“She’s like, ‘It’s a feather,’” Aaron remembers. “And we’re like, ‘What do you mean it’s a feather?’ And she showed us.”
Rightfully so, Aaron and Emma were in disbelief.
At some point Mya either inhaled or tried to swallow a two-inch-long black feather, and it ended up getting lodged in her throat. Her tiny body rejected the feather, and forced it through the side of her neck as a way to heal itself.
Aaron and Emma told ABC News that Mya has been fussing and pulling at her ear, but they thought she was either teething or experiencing an earache. Turns out it was her way of telling her parent’s she had a feather stuck in her throat.
Thankfully, the little tot was able to heal the rest of the way without having surgery on her neck.